Thursday, June 5, 2008

Working diversely

Today is my first day working, ad it has been pretty interesting. I met with my one of my teammates, Jamie Yang, and she introduced me to lots of important people, gave me a tour in the office. She then sat down with me in the conference room to get to know a little background about me. Long story short, today I learned about the compay and read lots of articles. One thing found interesting is you do not have to know how to speak Cantonese, you just have to know how to speak English, and people in the office are extremely diverse.

After working in Hong Kong the first day for the first time, I feel that my intuition has always been correct. Employees in the states are just so god damn slow. If you are in Hong Kong, even working in McDonalds, you can feel the tension and the efficiency around you, everywhere is extremely competitive and everyone is very smart.

My heart got touched for a second today when I was walking to MTR station after dinner. On my way there, I believe a Dad was yelling at his daughter on the street, and the one and only sentence I heard from him was very sad, "I just want you to spend some time with me..." I am calling all my friends out there, spend some time with your dad, your mom, or at least give them a call if they are working overseas, cherish your time with them while it lasts.

On the other hand, for some exciting news. I am extremely excited because the competition that I has been waiting forever has finally arrived, and the time matches me, and I will not miss it. It is the "Hong Kong Open Close-up Magic Competition" which will be held on August 3rd. After competing at the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas past month, I am more than comfortable in this competition and have confidence in it.

It is time to get home and get some rest. Cheers.

1 comment:

bryan said...

glad to hear youre having a good time. make sure you buy a lot of the clothes.